- Innovative camera technology housed in a custom-built robot will allow thousands of film fans the chance to get a virtual red carpet selfie with a Hollywood film star
- The EE Roboselfie will capture five selfies per second on the BAFTA red carpet on Sunday 12 February before tweeting them back to fans live on the night
- The unique selfie-taking robot is designed by BAFTA-winning costume designer Jany Temime, renowned for her iconic work on the Harry Potter films, Gravity and Spectre
- Laura Whitmore will be introducing film stars to the EE Roboselfie on the red carpet at the Royal Albert Hall as part of EE and BAFTA’s Facebook Live red carpet show
- To be in with a chance of getting a selfie with one of the stars walking this year’s red carpet, fans can submit their pictures on Twitter using the hashtag #EEBAFTAselfie
- The EE BAFTA red carpet show will be live streamed on Facebook between 4.30pm-7pm on Sunday 12 February
EE will be helping thousands of film fans get closer to the stars by giving them the chance to have a ‘virtual selfie’ taken on the red carpet using the brand new custom EE Roboselfie: a high-tech, selfie-taking robot designed by BAFTA-winning costume designer Jany Temime (Spectre, Skyfall, Gravity, Harry Potter, Passengers)
All you need to do is submit a headshot of using on Twitter using the hastag #EEBAFTAselfie, lucky film fans will have the chance to be featured in one of the superfast selfies that the EE Roboselfie will be creating at record speed whenever an A-lister stops by for a picture.
In a red carpet world first, EE’s bespoke robot uses facial detection, built-in time codes and custom software to synchronise the camera to its display, simultaneously capturing fan images next to real-life celebrities to capture five different fan selfies per second.
The EE Roboselfie intelligently pairs the new images, once complete with an A-list cameo, to the @handle of the person who submitted the original photograph and even includes a personalised message — all live on the night.
Laura Whitmore said: “I can’t wait to be a part of this year’s EE BAFTA red carpet and introduce the brilliant EE Roboselfie to this year’s nominees. Make sure you tune in to the red carpet action on EE and BAFTA’s social media channels from 4:30pm on Sunday 12 February to see how I’m getting on.”
So if the robots rise up against us in some sort of Terminator style revolution we can partly blame Laura Whitmore for all of this.